Wednesday 6 May 2015

Production

When production first started everything was going smoothly as all actors knew the filming dates and locations were set however, something had to go wrong.

Nothing ever goes smoothly as I have found out though doing this project myself, but I have learnt to understand and adapt to the changes which will happen within the industry.
Firstly one of the actors which I was hoping for got a call from a studio to do filming there and it was a opportunity which he couldn't miss, this is understand able as I asked him and I would give him experience and a reel in his CV, compared to the money and small named company.  From this I've defiantly need a serious budget for any next film for actors e.c.t. but I didn't set one for this project which has affected the overall experience, showing me I need to get budgets.
Secondly locations, as I emailed to locations and didn't get responses for up to a month, which I found to be amazing in terms of response and communication, and has shown me I'm not for pre-production and finding I'm not suited to it at all.

Filming, was fairly easy as it came natural to me, and it felt like the fun I was waiting for to come around.  In this both actors helped me slightly with dialog I should say as if I was the Director which was new to me as I've never done it before but they were calm and very helpful in this learning curve.  Secondary filming in the Factory, went absolutely perfectly as I had made a game plan before hand which big time gaps which enabled us to film the scenes needed and the extras which the actors + crew thought of which I hadn't thought of, I found this useful and interesting in how other people think and what could be done better, however later that day the card had got corrupted and I asked the Location officer if we could go for a another shoot soon but sadly this couldn't be done as the main work in the factory was 9am to 7pm weekdays + Saturday and other people had asked about the space.
This left me in a tricky situation. However one of the actors was still free for this week, and so I bought Pink Bands which snap in place and used these as Tracking markers and reference points for a CGI section in post production my strongest area of work.
For this CGI and tracking we headed to Mean-wood Leeds and filmed I decided not to take the toy Nerf gun as it was completely painted black and past the dates which I informed the local police about filming in public areas with a gun, and I didn't know how long this would take to get a confirmation about the police knowing about it, so we used a stick with green tape wrapped around it as a reference to the CGI Layer.
Myself and the actor had a good laugh this day and it was unfortunate about the corruption of the filming from the Sunday, but very lucky he was available on the Monday for filming, and the weather conditions were perfect so this was a stroke of good luck.

Overall I was very stressed before the production and became even more during, however since this was a good experience about the whole workflow within the industry, I'm defiantly set on the production (Camera Work) and Post-Production work as this feels a lot more natural to me and defiantly more fun.

Pros
learning different skills in the field of film making.
Found my idea areas of work.

Cons
Dedication in actors and locations
way to much pressure for one person to handle
Complex story, with certain locations were needed and wasn't flexible (mainly my fault)
No budget = difficult.

What I could have done better?
Not lose good communication during the project.
Get a Team for something like this next time!
Make the film really basic and not as complex

No comments:

Post a Comment